First Rendering

First Rendering
Brian Jennings First Crack At A Design

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bodywork Has Begun!

OK, I have corrected my axle issue and moved on to the next large, daunting task.  The Body.  If you have never seen a Newport, or any other C-Body Chrysler, let me clarify one thing: They are HUGE.  Like, aircraft carrier huge.  This becomes painfully apparent when you set out to sand off 43 years of paint and previous repair work.
Brian Jennings, the future painter of Rattlerod, hooked me up with an 8" DA and an 8" electric buffer/sander.  I managed to get the driver's quarter and most of the passenger's quarter done today.  I will probably be bedridden for a couple of days, but I got it done.  On the plus side, I found no appreciable rust anywhere, and just one poorly repaired crease on the driver's side.  Brian assures me that he can make quick work of the crease with the stinger.
Check out the pics of the sweet patch panel that Bob made also.  Inner and outer fit like a charm and are tacked in, awaiting final welding.
I also got my coolant lines finalized and Danny is working on a custom, sheetmetal intake setup so that we can complete the piping for the intake.  Since we missed Redding, I am now hoping to get it to the GoodGuys show at the end of August.  I'll take it, even if it has to go on a trailer.  I should at least be able to cruise it around the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment